[Buddha-l] Beyond Hope

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon May 8 08:34:42 MDT 2006

jkirk schreef:

The death penalty seems to me to continue the bellicosity and belief in the
value of aggression of those who, and the societies that, impose it. But I
have "given up hope" that in this country it will be ended. Even working
against it seems to get nowhere, much less working for peace.

Joanna

for people like us who want deathpenalty to disappear altogether, it doesn't matter much in which country it's still being carried out. But I repete that this is what Camus meant with Sysiphus being a happy and wise person and also what it means in the Bhagavad Giita when K.r.s.n.a advises Arjuna to give up any attachment for the results of action and finally what it means in Buddhism when a bodhisattva will bring an unendless multitude of beings to bodhi and still doesn't have the idea that anyone has been brought to bodhi.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950