[Buddha-l] Re: In the footsteps of Xuan Zhang (Stephen Hodge)

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Wed May 3 14:13:41 MDT 2006

Not to mention the nearly 1 million British subjects who died and were buried in India, many suffering from ill health.

Mike

Joanna wrote:

> This is really intriguing...........I wonder what it was about India
that
> caused so much mortality. The climate? Did any of your reports
speculate
> as to the reasons?
As far as anything is mentioned, mainly disease and snake-bites were
the
main causes of death.  I wonder if there were diseases indigenous to
India
but rare or unknown in China to which the Chinese pilgrims had little
or no
resistance.  Yijing mentions brief bigraphical details of Chinese monks
who
went to India around the same time as he was living there.  There are
about
64 of them and almost 60 had died or gone missing never to be heard of
again
by the time Yijing left India.

After the Chinese invasion of Tibet and the subsequent flow of refugees
into
India, many of those Tibetans fell sick with TB to which they had not
previously been exposed.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge