[Buddha-l] In the footsteps of Xuan Zhang

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Tue May 2 18:02:52 MDT 2006

Kate Marshall wrote:

> There is a free download of Fa Hsien's (Xuan Zhang/Hsuan-tsang) 'Buddhist
> Records of Western Countries,' Book I, taken from translations by Thomas
> Watters (1904) and Samuel Beal (1884) available at:

Actually, Fa Hsien is Faxian, not Xuanzang/Hsuan-tsang, so this is Faxian's
travelogue which is shorter than that by Xuanzang.  For Faxian's accounts of
the many poor Chinese monks who perished in India, you wuill need to look at
his "A Record of the Eminent Monks who Sought the Dharma in the West" (Xiyu
Qiufa Gaoseng Chuan).  I don't know if this is available as an etext -- I
don't think so.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge