[Buddha-l] Non Orthodox Elements within Thai Buddhism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 23 10:11:19 MST 2006

curt schreef:

> Are you suggesting that Christianity has a monopoly on "true" devotion
> - and that all other religious devotion, outside of Christianity,
> merely amounts to superstitious ploys to win the favor of various Gods
> for personal gain?
> - Curt

Define 'true devotion', and yes my observations suggest me that most rituals are for personal gain. But I think there's nothing wrong with it. A do ut des ritual is very respectable; any other ritual is very unpractical. Many Asian people would be surprised if they would hear you condemn it. Why have devotion for the god's sake? He doesn't need it, he's mighty and supreme! We need to be devoted in order that we please him by being exemplary subjects and then he'll reward us. In other words the Christian god thrives on the unhappy consciousness caused by the guilt of the hereditary sin, which is unknown to Asians. Christians are devoted because they owe their god. And by being devoted this way, they think of themselves as the best boy or girl in the class and an example for others and this is their way out of the hereditary sin, because they are in 'imitatione Christi'. And Christ is the only person without hereditary sin. Salvation through Christ.

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
weblog http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950