[Buddha-l] The dying forest

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Mar 14 18:26:51 MST 2006

Depressing about the tudong tradition in Thailand.
China has so much money they can buy up any government in SE Asia and get
access to destroy the local resources. Burma is an especially bad case in
point here, but Thailand isn't far behind.

As for Africa, well I have to disagree that their various religious
practices are shamanistic a la central and northern Asia (or if you like,
Tibet). They aren't.

African religious cults, practices etc are more like the village cults that
once were very predominant in India but are going fast toward the "great
tradition" under the political and economic forces of "development."  Their
main features are or were deity cults, possession by deities rituals, lots
of sorcery and magic, and overall general paranoia, since all of these
whether India or Africa were situated in shortage economies where the "image
of limited good" prevailed: "your gain is my loss", whether by luck, by
magic, by deity intervention, acts of nature (flood, drought, earthquakes),
etc. These events and experiences were always attributed to evil human
motives, usually based on envy, or fear, or on suspicion that one did
something wrong oneself that antagonized a deity or ancestor spirit, or on
interfamilial competition for resources, or on any occasion where someone
could accuse or suspect another human being.

I don't look forward to any amalgamation of Buddhism with any of the above,
any time soon.
Joanna K.
A new can for you to kick in any direction you care to: