[Buddha-l] religious pluralism in Asia

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Mar 10 18:18:39 MST 2006

Now if the Japanese had just applied the same measures across the board
to all religions save one, and if they had persisted in this practice
for 15 consecutive centuries, then we could begin to draw parallels with
Christianity. There would also have to be equally sadistic measures
applied within the one allowed religion in order to enforce a monolithic
conformity and crush all manifestations of "heresy". And the single
allowed religion would also have to articulate an explicit theory of
persecution based directly on its own religious teachings. These are not
rhetorical jabs at Christianity, nor are they in any way exaggerations -
they are the factual parameters for any genuine comparative approach to
the phenomenon of religious intolerance. I point out these unpleasant
facts because I think there is a tendency to view any and every specific
instance of religious intolerance as somehow rising to the same level as
the systemic intolerance characteristic of Christianity. That bar is
pretty danged high - and Ieyasu didn't come close.

One of the secondary themes of Zagorin's book is the "theory of
persecution" that Christianity developed (the second chapter is entitled
"The Christian Theory of Persecution"). That theory began to be
developed even before the reign of Constantine - and was first applied
by Christians to each other well before they had any power to go after
Jews and Pagans - for example, Ireneus' "Against All Heresies" dates
from 180. The primary theme of the rest of the book is the slow process
by which a critique of the Christian Theory of Persecution developed -
starting in the 16th century and continuing at least into the 18th
century. Zagorin points out that the Catholic Church only articulated an
explicit affirmation of the principle of religious tolerance in 1965!

Any investigation of religious tolerance and intolerance in Asia would
have to include Christianity which has been part of the religious scene
in Asia for over 400 years. For instance, the Inquisition infamously set
up a branch office in Goa in 1560. Not to mention the fact that
Christianity actually started in Asia in the first place!

- Curt