[Buddha-l] Hinayana (was: Monk/nun or lay person)

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 8 14:20:16 MST 2006

Gang,

Yesterday, Stefan Detrez asked Bruce Burrill,

> I guess we'll have to put the H word on the taboo list, then.
> Is that what you want?

I can't answer for Bruce, but my answer is, "of course." I can direct
Stefan to a very long thread on this topic, during the first week of
September, 2004. The subject line was "Hinayana." Check it out. The
result of the debate? Mixed, but I'd say the best cases were made on
the side of not using the word. Why on earth would anyone want to cling
to using a term that does all the following?

1) refers to no actual lived religion tradition
2) confuses rhetoric with reality
3) intentionally insults sincere religious practitioners

And all this when the term can be easily replaced with others that not
only don't hurt and anger reasonable people, but are also more accurate
and specific! There's simply no defense for it (excepting the very
limited use Bruce quoted Reggie Ray advocating).

Basta!

Franz Metcalf