[Buddha-l] Monk/nun or lay person

Bruce Burrill brburl at mailbag.com
Tue Mar 7 07:37:08 MST 2006

 >>One reference I found to layman and
enlightenment is post-canonical (ironically). The Milindapanha.<<

You might need to look a little harder.

 >> Second century.<<

The suttas are earlier.

 >>Lay folks can become anagamins, but only
monastics can become arhats, in the Theravada.<<

It seems to be the case, but that is debatable.
The suttas do not seem to be absolute on that issue.

 >>You seem to take the term Hinayana ad hominem.
It's not because you find it ugly that others should do the same.<<

Given that it is an insulting word, I should not see it that way?

 >>My point is that non-monastics becoming
Enlightened is a late development in the Theravada.<<

And now I have no idea what you mean by “Theravada.”

 >>That lay folks becoming enlightened less
conditionally with regard to monastic demands
than in the (later-)Theravada is a prominent theme in early Mahayana.<<

But what does it mean in the Mahayana to become
“enlightened.” The goal of the Mahayana is
Buddhahood, so what is it that you are saying
here? Again, I have no idea what you mean when you say Theravada.

 >>I use the term [hinayana] stoically. Greed,
anger or delusion do not pop up when I say it.<<

And I suppose that a white man could say that
about the use of the word “nigger.” Hinayana is
an ugly doctrinal epithet that no school of
Buddhism called itself. It carries baggage that
is inappropriate to the Theravada, by which I mean the Theravada.

 >>Yeah right, monastics study (or maybe even
write) texts featuring layfolks becoming
enlightened, but don't do anything with it.<<

Well, Mahayana monastics wrote a lot of stuff that is rather absurd.

 >>I see a very clear attempt to proselytize:<<

 From me?

 >>if the monastery was so closed, restricted to a few good men<<

Well, that is the thrust of the Ugra, but then
certainly the Mahayana shift even further as it
redefined its terminology in trying to make sense of the bodhisattva ideal.

 >>as you say -, why bother inventing a Vimala if
it's for inside study only!?<<

Why humiliate Shariputra? Why turn him into a
whipping-boy, to borrow Conze’s expression of how the Mahayana portrayed him?

 >>Already in the Theravada we see in later texts
a larger importance laid on householders looking
for a piece of Enlightenment and transference of
merit. Where are the bodhisatta-lay folks in the Canon, apart from Vipassin?<<

Again, I have no idea as to what you mean by Theravada.

 >>The Mahayanic Bodhisattva is as a term
flexible enough to allow for anyone to become
one, given certain minimal requirements.<<

It was not always that way, and quite frankly
other than from an historical standpoint, who
cares? The Theravada (and here I mean the
Theravada) and Mainstream Buddhism does not need
to define itself – or be defined -- in terms of
the Mahayana, despite what the Mahayana says
about itself. There is no objective basis for that.

 >>Bodhisattas do Nibbana for themselves (as it
is said), bodhisattvas wait until everybody around is enlightened.<<

Huh? So a “bodhisatta,” striving for buddhahood
is lesser than a bodhisattva, who strives for a
perfectly meaningless goal. Sounds Zennish.

 >>A discrete way of saying that lay followers as
Mahayanin bodhisattvas won't realize attain Nirvana even if they wanted to.<<

If one follows the Mahayana sutras, a bodhisattva
has to be careful not to become a lowly arhat.

 >>What's the difference between becoming a
Buddha and to achieve Buddhahood, anyway?<<

Damdifino. Not a distinction I would make, but
then I am just a garbage truck riding Theravadin, it would seem.

 >>But to KEEP the people's support the
monasteries had to do something, which was
instrumentally producing texts that gave lay
folks greater involvement in the Noble life.<<

Obviously they did not do a very good job of it,
it would seem. The Hindus were much better at it
than were the Buddhists. Also, given the ongoing
minority status of the Mahayana in India
indicates a bit of a failure in that regard.

 >>I ask you why, if the whole production of
texts was so sangha-centered, lay folks popped up
in the texts claiming enlightenment.<<

You mean like Dragon Girl?

 >>Yes, now explain to me then WHY these
enlightened layfolks featured in those texts.<<

Let us see. And how many of these “lay folk” are there in how many texts?

 >>Suppose we compare the position of layfolks
with regard to Nirvana between the Theravada and
the (Early-)Mahayana: where do lay followers play a more claiming role?<<

Mahayana uber alles? Again, what is your point
here? The superiority of the Mahayana over
Mainstream Buddhism because the Mahayana
concocted stories about lay folk in their
scriptures? But show us that that translates into
actual increase of lay involvement in the
Mahayana. Schopen suggest that such a argument is not very well grounded.

 >>Would this be an early or a late commentary?<<

Likely quite early.