[Buddha-l] Monk/nun or lay person

Bruce Burrill brburl at mailbag.com
Mon Mar 6 12:21:30 MST 2006

 >>But the particularity of laymen attaining
Nibbana is a later development within the Canon.
This shift can be regarded both as doctrinal
(Enlightenment outside the Sangha!) and historical.<<

And how late are we speaking off here? After the suttas? Evidence?

 >>Most suttas dealing with layfolks have them
eventually go forth, entering the sangha. There,
again, you have this condition that one must
first become monk/nun (and be it for as long as
it takes) in order to realize Nibbana.<<

It is easier to attain nibbana as a monastic in
that is it what the monastics are able to spend
their time so doing, but being a monastic is not
a prerequisite to attaining the status of ariya according to the suttas.

 >>I'm not sure I understand your point. Jan
Nattier's study actually proves my point:
layfolks realizing Nibbana is a later Mahayana
development. ( http://www.indiana.edu/~rcapub/v21n1/p23.html )<<

And I have not a clue as to your point in your
initial msgs or in this one. Layfolk could
realize the status of ariya in the Pali suttas.
As for the Mahayana, in order to make sense of
the bodhisattva notion as a path of practice they
had to repeatedly redefine the core concepts of
what the Buddha taught. So, what is your point?
Also, Nattier points out that the earliest of the
early Mahayana sutras, the emphasis was on monastic practice for men.

 >>I take the LS as an early Mahayana scripture.<<

The early parts are relatively early but its
composition went on for at least two hundred years.

 >>It has to do with the Theravada , because it's
an implicit critique of its emphasis on the monastic life. Hinayana,<,

Hinayana is an ugly, disgusting word (and
concept) that was put into the LS’s Buddha’s
mouth by the worst sort of sectarian mind set. No
school ever referred to themselves as hinayana.
The straw man concept of the hinayana notion are
just that and not applicable to the Theravada,
nor is the Mahayana some sort of champion of the
laity over the monastic point of view. The
Mahayana’s development was strictly a monastic
endeavor. Again, what is your point here?

 >>for that matter, is not a substitute for
Theravada but a compendium name for pre-Mahayana
schools, who are Sangha-centered.<<

Goodness. So Theravada is a term to collectively
to refer to the whole of the Mainstream Indian
Buddhist schools. Theravada is the name of an
ordination lineage and of a particular doctrinal
school. It is not a “compendium” name to refer to
the Mainstream schools. It is not a substitute
for the ugly term coined by Mahayana sectarians.
Given that the Mahayana was no less Sangha centered, what is your point?

 >>It's not ugly. It's a historical word just as
we use 'the Third World' to mean the whole of
economically and socially un(-der)developped countries.<<

Only a Mahayanist sectarian would say that. In
Sanskrit and Pali, >>hina<< comes from the
root >>ha<<: to abandon, to forsake, to avoid, to
leave behind which gives us >>hina<<: inferior,
low, poor, miserable, vile, base, abject,
contemptible, despicable, rejected, thrown away,
scorned. In idiomatic English hinayana would be
the "piss-poor vehicle" or the "garbage vehicle."
In and of itself, the word hinayana is an ugly
derogatory, divisive, derisive epithet. It is a
put down term, which is then coupled with a nasty us-versus-them polemic.

 >>Maybe most folks didn't understand the
Vimalakirti Sutra, but the fact that a layman (an
ill layman, come to think of it) can be superior
to a monk or a nun must've surely made it
attractive and must have given the hope that in
order to get released from suffering, one doesn't
have to go through the whole curriculum of monastic life.<<

Except that the Mahayana’s doctrinal developments
by the time the Vimala was composed has become
quite rococo, really only accessible to the
professionals (the monastics) who would have time
and resources to study them, which is to say that
layman Vimala was a way of tweaking the noses of
the Mainstream Buddhist, not a way of recruiting laity.

 >>And it's here, too, that layfolks attaining Nirvana was a nice incentive.<<

The goal (eye-rolling here) of the Mahayana is
not nibbana, but buddhahood, which is part of the
Mahayana redefinition of Buddhism

 >>But this is, again, something one shouldn't
expect from the Theravada - the name of which
already implies a certain meritocracy in contrast
to the 'Get yur Nirvana here and now,
folks!'-mentality of especially Mahayana texts.<<

Again, Theravada is not a generic term for those
who are not Mahayanists, nor does the
Mahayana/hinayana polemics apply to the
Theravada. As Reginald Ray states in his >>Indestructible Truth<<:

 >>In fact, as we shall see presently, "Hinayana"
refers to a critical but strictly limited set of
views, practices, and results. The pre-Mahayana
historical traditions such as the Theravada are
far richer, more complex, and more profound than
the definition of "Hinayana" would allow. ...The
tern "Hinayana" is thus a stereotype that is
useful in talking about a particular stage on the
Tibetan Buddhist path, but it is really not
appropriate to assume that the Tibetan definition
of Hinayana identifies a venerable living
tradition as the Theravada or any other historical school.."<< Page 240.

Also, the Mahayana was not offering nibbana now.
It was in the shift after the Ugra that for the
Mahayana Buddhhood as a goal. Nibbana of the
arhat became a ruse according to the Lotus Sutra,
or at best, a temporary place for those too
stupid to understand the Mahayana, but who
eventually get smart (after a few blissed out
eons) and become good Mahayanist in the march towards buddhahood.

Me: ”As for the vulgarization of the Dhamma, the
pretty much sums up the Lotus Sutra.”

Thee: >>Correct. Faith has made its intro into
the Teachings. Mappo avant la lettre, perhaps. A
people's revolution, toppling the bourgeoisie.<<

"... even after its initial appearance in the
public domain in the 2nd century [Mahayana]
appears to have remained an extremely limited
minority movement – if it remained at all - that
attracted absolutely no documented public or
popular support for at least two more centuries.
It is again a demonstrable fact that anything
even approaching popular support for the Mahayana
cannot be documented until 4th/5th century AD,
and even then the support is overwhelmingly
monastic, not lay donors ... although was - as we
know from Chinese translations - a large and
early Mahayana literature there was no early,
organized, independent, publicly supported
movement that it could have belonged to."

-- G. Schopen "The Inscription on the Ku.san image of Amitabha and the
character of the early Mahayana in India." JIABS 10, 2 pgs 124-5

People’s revolution? Seems not. That theory of
the Mahayana has been shown to be a more than a bit problematic.

 >>Maybe the continuity was interrupted when
Theravada monastics realized that the Dhamma was
beginning to become populist, urging them to
swiftly write the whole thing done and close it.<<

Again, this has nothing to do with the Theravada,
nor is there any real evidence that the Mahayana,
a movement that was highly bound by extremely
complex doctrinal structures, was a populist
movement. And let us not forget that the earliest
of the early Mahayana sutra (pre-introduction of
the ugly term hinayana) the path was for a few good (monastic) men.

 >>One should be careful to generalize from one
instance ('there's a layman attaining Nibbana, SO
it is characteristic of the whole of the Theravada teachings')<<

He said, generalizing, using a specific term
inappropriately as a general term. The attainment
of ariya status was evident in both the suttas
and in the commentaries. That the majority of the
suttas focuses on monastics is not surprising,
but it is also not surprising to see, for
example, the commentary to the Satipatthana
Suttas gloss “monks” as referring to also the laity.