[Buddha-l] Monk/nun or lay person

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 11:15:21 MST 2006

(I erroneously posted my previous post too soon, so this is the
continuation)

Stefan wrote:

>The issue has also been dealt with in terms of distinguishing
> > >Kammatic  and Nibbanic Buddhism (a distinction introduced by Melford
> > >Spiro).

Lance  Cousins wrote:

and famously discredited by Richard Gombrich in his review of the first
edition of Spiro's book.

Stefan writes:

I'm not sure why Spiro was mistaken.There might not be such a distinction in
practice (assuming the people's understanding has not evolved since the
Buddha's time), yet as a working definition where kammatic buddhism is
'silatic' and nibbanic buddhism is 'dhyanic', I think the Pali suttas allow
for such a categorisation. Maybe I should have started out with 'silatic'
and 'dhyanic' from the very beginning to make my point.

Stefan

--
Born, never asked.

- Laurie Anderson