[Buddha-l] Buddhist salvation

Jørn Borup jornborup at mail.dk
Sun Mar 5 01:06:35 MST 2006

Dear colleagues,

Modern Western Buddhists are often reluctant to have what they see as a spiritual way identified with a religion of salvation. Indeed, it is questionable if words such as "save" and "salvation" are appropriate, just as it should always be discussed whether other concepts used in the study of religion (myth, ritual, meditation, cosmology, god(s), mysticism etc) could be replaced by other, less Christian/Western inspired concepts. However, salvation I think is a proper translation and interpretation within Chinese and Japanese Pure Land traditions. Since I do not know Sanskrit I would like to hear you experts, if the same is true in for instance the Bodhisattva vows - or other texts. And how about ideas and traditions in Tibetan Buddhism - any "salvation" there?

Best regards,

Jorn Borup