[Buddha-l] Re: What are the "joys of living"?

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 21:49:15 MDT 2006

Stefan wrote:

SD> It would be interesting to know how these precepts have
SD> evolved. If we assume the 8 precepts were formulated originally
SD> for monks and nuns (as the Buddha founded his sangha, dealing with
SD> go-forthers), then it might it a small step to realize that lay
SD> people were not keen on quitting dancing, theater, and so forth.
SD> So maybe there were originally 8 precepts, meant for both clerics
SD> and layfolks, but the Buddha, or someone else, removed three of
SD> them to suit the layfolks.

For Buddha, the preferred way to be liberated was the home-leaver way.
No doubt about it.

In Uposatha Sutta we read as these additional precepts born from the
reflection in the arhant life style, which was understood by Buddha
as the way to reach Nirvana in this same life:

"Bhikkhus. Ariyan disciples in this Religion reflect thus:
'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, have given up singing and
dancing, the playing of musical instruments and the watching of
entertainments, which are stumbling blocks to that which is wholesome.
Nor do they bedeck themselves with ornaments, flowers or perfume.'

It seems that lay people, by taking these additional precepts, they
can be closer and consider the home-leaver life.

best regards.