[Buddha-l] Re: What are the "joys of living"?

Tim Bovee/Datni LLC tbovee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 15:15:51 MDT 2006

On 6/26/06, Benito Carral <bcarral at kungzhi.org> wrote:

>    If  one  can't differentiate between a porn film and
> Bambi,   he  has  a  serious  problem.  There  is  good
> bibliography  on music if you are interested in knowing
> more about it.
>
>    Then about salsa:
>
>            The  1980s was a time of diversification, as
>         popular  salsa  evolved  into  sweet and smooth
>         salsa  romantica,  with lyrics dwelling on love
>         and  romance,  and  its  more  explicit cousin,
>         salsa erotica. [...]
>
>         http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music
>
>    Also, try to look for "salsa" on Google Images.

Well, obviously, my salsa a bit broader than your salsa:

"At its root, however, salsa is a mixture of
Spanish<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Spain>and African
music <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Africa>, filtered through the
music histories of Cuba and Puerto Rico, and adapted by Latin
jazz<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_jazz>and Latin popular
musicians for Latino populations with diverse musical
tastes.[6] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music#_note-steward488> The
basic structure of a salsa song is based on the Cuban son, beginning with a
simple melody and followed by a *coro* section in which the performers
improvise.[16] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music#_note-12> Ed
Morales has claimed that the "key staples" of salsa's origins were the use
of the trombone <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombone> as a counterpoint to
the vocalist and a more aggressive sound than is typical in Cuban music; the
trombone also carries the melody, while the rhythm is most generally
provided by bongos, congas and
timbales.[17]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music#_note-13>Peter
Manuel claims that the term
*salsa* is so vague as to be meaningless; however, the style that evolved
along with the word can be characterized as using timbales and trombones in
greater numbers, and use of Puerto Rican elements like the declamatory
exclamation *le-lo-lai*.[18]"<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music#_note-14>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_music

I mean, clearly, lust is in the eye of the beholder, or the mind of the
dancer. At my advanced age, if I see a couple of kids dancing salsa, I don't
think, "How lustful". I think, "Such beautiful, happy kids," and I'm very
happy, because in them I see the future.

Can salsa be an impediment? Of course, both the dance and the stuff I dip my
chips in. But if they are impediments, it's attachment to these things that
has the potential to make them so. Lust, impediment or attachment are not
inherent in the dance or the dip.

It seems rather un-Buddhist to suggest that they are. Perhaps the Committee
on Un-Buddhist Activities should investigate.....

Best,
Tim Bovee
Herndon, Va.
tbovee at gmail.com/www.daypoems.net