[Buddha-l] Re: The Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'? What are the "joys of living"?

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:27:50 MDT 2006

2006/6/25, Benito Carral <bcarral at kungzhi.org>:

> On Sunday, June 25, 2006, Stefan wrote:
>
> > I guess some consumerism is conditio sine qua non the
> > monastery can exist.
>
>   I  have  said  what  I  had to say, now everyone can
> decide  for  himself.

I'm willing to rest my case, but there are still some questions you left
left unanswered. Do you look up to people who unvoluntarily live in
conditions which come close to your picture of the ideal Buddhist life?
Suppose everyone became a cleric, what consequences would you foresee for
society and its economic structure? Would you agree that lust has driven
people to make the world a better place, like wanting to invent some kind of
medicine, or become a comedian, for example? Can you think of possible ways
where lust can positively contribute to something? This can be an incentive
for a more general discussion about the sense in which the Buddhist
conception of tanha/trsna can be interpreted in alternate ways, possibly
non-textual and at least more non-orthodox. And, as you surely know, the
idea of anicca might just as well be applied to the hermeneutical system of
Buddhist philosophy, so differing readings of anitya and, especially, the
understanding of anicca can evolve right here, right now.

Cheers,

Stefan