[Buddha-l] Soccer mad monks too tired to take alms

Bankei bankei at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 07:28:47 MDT 2006

Hi JK.

JK----Yes, of course. But I was citing mae chi, not dana in general, OK? So
why change the subject?

Bankei----- So you agree, dana to Mae Chi will result in merit!

JK------Despite their taking the 8 precepts, just as laypeople do when they
go on retreat in a monastery, they are NOT ordained as monastics and never
were. Monastics take far more than 8 precepts, as I'm sure you know.

Bankei----- Mae Chi shave their heads, wear robes, and live in monasteries
so I think it may depend on whether your definition of a monastic includes
this. Novice's take 10 precepts, Bhikkhu take 227.

Dr Kabilsingh, now  Dhammananda, was actually ordained as a Bhikkhuni in Sri
Lanka in
2003. She has a small temple and is making progress. Not all the Thai sangha
are opposed to the establishment of the Bhikkhuni Sangha in Thailand.

Bankei