[Buddha-l] Re: The Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'? What are the "joys of living"?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Wed Jun 21 15:36:51 MDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Bob wrote:

> I find my experience is not the same as yours.

   I  thought that we were talking about the Old Indian
Guy  and  his teachings--the state of the world and the
effects of Western culture is all around us to see.

   Yesterday  I  was  talking  with  a young woman from
Cincinnati who asked me if I dance salsa. I replied her
that  I  don't  dance  salsa because that is against my
principles, and she asked me why. I told her that salsa
is conceived in order to promote lust, that lust is one
of the unwholesome roots taught by the Buddha, and that
I prefer to live a peaceful life for myself and others.
She said in a funny way, "I'm not against lust, so it's
a good reason for not becoming a Buddhist." I explained
her  that  there are a lot of more good reasons for her
not  becoming  a  Buddhist and just mention her some of
the  basic  precepts. I was about to depart when I said
her, "Do you remember when you told me how bad you feel
about  your grandpa's three divorces and your dad's two
ones?  Do  you  remember  when you told me how much you
would  like to break that chain? Be aware of where your
lust  is carrying you." Her face became serious at once
and  said  in  a  no funny way, "I get your point and I
appreciate it."

   Is  dancing  salsa  a  joy of living? Maybe for some
people, but not for Buddhists.

   Best wishes,

--
Benito Carral