[Buddha-l] Re: Buddha as a Stoic

Cameron Hughes runlikeanantelopecph at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 08:14:26 MDT 2006

Hello Stefan,

I'm not sure if this is much help, because I'm not quite sure in what
way your asking this question, it could be cynical or it could simply
be wanting to understand what you read--I'll assume the latter for
now.

It seems as if this definition of stoic is presupposing that ALL
Stoics consciously decide their stance on issues prompting emotional
response, someone people are just born that way! However the Buddha
endorsed the middle way and living a life devoid of attachment, the
phrase 'emotional weakling' (in that sense) is actually somewhat of an
oxymoron. Letting your emotions get the best of you is moreso being
weak than controlling anger, lust, or fear of death as you would say.
There is no fear in death, only uncertainty, and if that then causes
fear that is more weak (to me) than anything--everything is uncertain!

Even so, the Buddha never claimed to be a world leader, or even a
leader of this movement. So--

>Or maybe the fear of having to handle the
> responsibilities of a worldly leader?

is not exactly right either. Did you read this from a Christian
apologetics site?

Once again, this could probably be of no help at all, or completely
wrong, so don't take my word for it!

Cameron Hughes