[Buddha-l] The Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 21 07:57:00 MDT 2006

Like Erik I think that this criticism sounds like it comes either from
someone with an agenda, or from someone who is setting a straw man by
arguing against the misapplication of Stoic ideas rather than arguing
honestly against Stoicism proper. Neither Epictetus nor Marcus Aurelius
come close to Hospers' caricature of a Stoic who is "afraid" to "play
for great stakes" and avoids "tasting the full joy of life".

A little about John Hospers: he is an editor of a right-wing magazine
(Liberty), a supporter of George Bush in 2004, and was the first
presidential candidate to run on the "Libertarian" Party ticket.

I find it unlikely that anyone who has bothered to seriously study some
actual Stoic philosophy (like Epictetus' "Discourses") would have such a
shallow appreciation of Stoicism. People like Hospers and Alan Bloom
specialize in anachronistic misrepresentations of classical philosophy
and literature to promote and support contemporary right-wing
intellectual fads and fancies.

- Curt