[Buddha-l] Re: To whom should teachings be given (reloaded)

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 15:13:15 MDT 2006

Benito wrote:

BC>   If  they  were really indulged in revenge, it's clear
BC> that they were not good practitioners.

it was not the point. That isolated episode is useful to show
that nuns order was not a submissive group to monks.

Also, in early Mahayana times, we see as many of these nuns were
forced to live among the lay people. And later we check as laicism
will be a main trend of Mahayana. This enormous change becomes very
difficult to digest starting from  nothing. However, it's easier to
explain when we think in a chain of masters developed inside the lay
people.

So the point was the possibility of Mahayana arising as a Buddhist
revisionism, as a way to maintain a teaching of a "positive"
emptiness; which is a female notion of the truth. And here, the
logical suspicion are the roots in some women Buddhist masters.

Some thoughts?

Btw, sure you know the passage when Buddha say yes to women admission
in AN,8,51:

"The Buddha agreed to the validity of Ananda's statements and then
thought to himself: `If I oppose the request of Ananda a third time,
this will cause him mental distress, and the teachings which I have
revealed and entrusted to him would become utterly confused in his
mind. I would like my true Dharma to last a thousand years, but it is
preferable that Ananda not become mentally distressed, and that the
revealed teachings not become utterly confused, even though, this way,
my true Dharma will abide but five hundred years.'"

this long Buddha deliverance about "what to do" until he can arrive
to a "reasonable" conclusion, it is one of the more strange
things that I have found about Buddha. To me, Sumeru mountain it's not
a problem but this passage really it is. Even more when we read that
somebody is able to know the Buddha thoughts.

A second Buddha?.

best regards,