[Buddha-l] To whom should teachings be given

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Tue Jun 6 18:14:20 MDT 2006

In message <007601c689a4$e6069230$20417057 at zen>, Stephen Hodge
<s.hodge at padmacholing.plus.com> writes

>Perhaps you don't know your Vinaya -- read the pratimoksa and you'll
>find most of them there.  The origins for these rules will be found in
>the Vinaya proper -- any version will do.

Thanks Stephen and Dave. I have lists of the pratimoksha vows, and they
are also available on several websites including accesstoinsight, but I
have not found an explanation of them. I understand that one should not
teach to those who have little respect for the teachings, or who do not
have the capacity for them.  But I do not understand, for example, what
is wrong with umbrellas.  At first I thought that this could indicate a
person is of too high a status and too proud to receive teachings. Then
someone with a stick may harbour aggression. These suppositions are not
very convincing though.

I do not have a copy of the 'Vinaya proper' to find out the origins, so
I will have to check the library.

--
Metta
Mike Austin