[Buddha-l] To whom should teachings be given

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Tue Jun 6 12:31:37 MDT 2006

Can anyone shed some light on the following verses from Shantideva Ch. V
concerning suitable candidates for teachings. I would be most interested
to know the origin and the meaning behind them.

88
The Dharma should not be explained to those who lack respect,
To those who, like sick men, wear cloth around their heads,
To those holding umbrellas, sticks or weapons,
To those with covered heads,

89
Nor to a woman unaccompanied by a man.
The vast and profound should not be taught to lesser beings,
(Although) I should always pay equal respect
To the Dharmas of the lesser and higher beings.

--
Metta
Mike Austin