[Buddha-l] diacritics for verse

Michael Attwood mahaabaala at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 14:26:45 MDT 2006

Mitchell Ginsberg wrote:

>Ah, what a lovely verse, the one that got Moggallaana
>and Sariputta! Leaving aside whether it's a mantra or
>not,

Ah yes, of course! <slaps forehead> It might be being used as a mantra in
this case, although what is a mantra? The verse is included, I think,
because it has some sort of magical significance in the context of the
practice, so might as well call it a mantra.

>I think it can be found at DhA.i.92 and perhaps at
>Vin.i.40. I can't check those sources right now.

I should be able to track it down.

>Where did you run across Skt. version?

It occurs in a Sadhana for White Tara written by a chap called Phabonkhapa
(sorry the Tibetan spelling is probably a mess). The sadhana includes a
visualisation of a Dharmacakra with a seed syallable at the hub, the tara
mantra around that, and on the rim the vowels (anticlockwise), the
consonants surrounding them (clockwise) and then outside that the verse
above, and finally the whole thing surrounded by blue vajras. It's a
reasonably common motif I think - similar to an image in the Mahavairocana
Sutra anyway. Since I've been teaching myself the Siddham script and this
visualisation is pretty difficult for folks who wouldn't recognise Sanskrit
in a native script if it jumped up and bit them, I thought I'd do a
calligraphy project on it. Technically it was probably not written in
Siddham, but I like it on aesthetic grounds, and for the link to Kukai who I
find inspiring.

Unfortunately I've seen three versions of the verse and since I'm not sure
what the correct Sanskrit is I've having to go with the version handed down
to me, which is what traditionalists would have me do anyway. I know a
little Pali, but almost no Sanskrit beyond common Buddhist technical terms -
a fault which causes me chagrin on a regular basis - why don't they teach
you stuff like this in school?

>Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks, it does :)

Regards