[Buddha-l] Evolution of 12 links/steps/whatevers

Malcolm Dean malcolmdean at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 20:06:20 MST 2006

Much of our discussion on authority has pointed out problems with
lists and linear progression. I think it much more likely, given the
prevalence of the circle and the zodiac in the ancient world, that the
early Buddhists were not thinking of a line, but a circle with a
number of sections.

At an exoteric level, for example, we can simply list the signs in a
linear fashion. At an esoteric level, there is an evolution within
each section, as well as in their mutual relationships. I think such
an approach is functionally equivalent to contemporary thinking, where
phenomena are emergent from their relationships and history.

It may be that the problems of lists and dry grammatical
interpretation which appears to predominate in academia is a modern
construction. The early Buddhists may have viewed such approaches as
fresh and innovative, since they were naturally thinking in older,
pre-literate ways. Since 19th and 20th century scholarship was
burdened with linear thinking, we have our own problem, much broader
than interpreting a few lists in early Buddhist scriptures.

I think list members should also be aware that there are new
historical methods for dealing with questions such as which text came
first, the chicken text or the egg text. These methods have to do with
frequency of letters and textual fragments in a linguistic context.

My friend Steve Farmer and his colleague Michael Witzel (Harvard) have
used these methods to explore the Harrapan culture and other
questions.
See Farmer's site at:
http://www.safarmer.com/downloads/
or see the Indo-Eurasian_Research List:
http://www.safarmer.com/Indo-Eurasian.html

Some participants in this discussion have argued that there is a
correct or even universally absolute version of some lists or
doctrines. The new approaches take an emergent, neuroscience approach
to understanding how humans communicate, understand each other, and
preserve ideas for future generations through rituals, chants, and
scriptures.

As I was taught, this is closer to the original method and intention
of the Teaching. Buddha's genius, as shown in case after case, was to
be able to communicate the Dharma in a personal and unique way to
those who came for teaching. Further, Buddhist teaching, as I
understand it, is thoroughly evolutionary, both in its own nature and
in the way each student incorporates it. Which means that a list might
be useful in some circumstances, and not in others.

It's difficult to resist the scriptural literalism which is ripping
our world apart and creating great danger of new conflicts. Let us
begin.

Malcolm Dean
Los Angeles CA
malcolmdean-at-gmail.com

Recent Lectures/Publications:
"Outline of Cognitive Thermodynamics," SCTPLS, August 5, 2005
"Cognitive Thermodynamics in Culture & Religion," SSSR, Oct 22, 2004
"General Theory of Cognitive Systems," UCLA CAG, May 13, 2004