[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Vicente Gonzalez vicen.bcn at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 20:29:15 MST 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:

RPH> I doubt it. That passage talks about consciousness. Vicente claims I was
RPH> talking about a self. I do not equate consciousness with the self, just
RPH> as I do not equate body with a self.

"Potthapada, there are these three acquisitions of a self: the gross
acquisition of a self, the mind-made acquisition of a self, and the
formless acquisition of a self. And what is the gross acquisition of
a self? Possessed of form, made up of the four great existents,
feeding on physical food: this is the gross acquisition of a self. And
what is the mind-made acquisition of a self? Possessed of form,
mind-made, complete in all its parts, not inferior in its faculties:
this is the mind-made acquisition of a self. And what is the formless
acquisition of a self? Formless and made of perception: this is the
formless acquisition of a self."

Potthapada Sutta