[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jan 30 13:56:32 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 21:09 +0100, Benito Carral wrote:

> I'm  just afraid that some people who don't know enough
> Buddhism  can  think,  for  example, that rebirth is an
> accessory  teaching or that the Buddha's goal was other
> than the complete cessation of dukkha.

And why does this make your afraid? Or, to put it another way, what ill
do you think might come of someone thinking that it is not necessary to
accept a literal reading of the doctrine of rebirth in order to practice
Buddhism effectively?

As for the other point, I am aware of no one anywhere who denies that
complete cessation of dukkha was the Buddha's goal. What I AM aware of
is the existence of some people who question whether that goal is
possible---but even they readily admit that striving for that goal, even
if it is unattainable, is what defines one as a Buddhist (and a Jain,
and a Hindu, and a Stoic, and a Skeptic).

As far as I know, no harm has ever come of questioning anything (unless
you regard being put to death by overzealous young fools, as Socrates
was, as some kind of harm). Indeed, my Zen master used to bellow at
anyone within earshot (which with his powerful voice was anyone within
about three kilometres): "Small doubt, small enlightenment! Great doubt,
great enlightenment." (Frankly, I have a great doubt whether it was
useful to go around shouting such slogans from the past like a loud
parrot. But perhaps we can discuss that another day.)

--
Richard