[Buddha-l] Re: belief in stuff

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 29 12:59:16 MST 2006

I do not find the word "believe" or "belief" to be very useful.
It covers such a broad range of possiblities, it is vague and even
ambiguous.
One can believe (have faith) that an omnipotent omniscient omnibenevolt
creator exists, who cares for us -- with zero evidence to support such a
claim.
One can belief that wine becomes the blood of Jesus, or that an elephant
tusk is the tooth of the Buddha.
One can believe that G. Bush is the president of the USA.
One can believe that one sees one's fingers in front of one's face --
and the evidence is quite strong and empirical.
One can believe that if one jumps off the roof, one will get hurt upon
landing.

In my classes I prefer a term like "having confidence" in the teachings
so that the vagueness and ambiguity of "belief" won't be so confusing.
The Chinese character "hsin" is usually translated as "belief," but it
seems closer to "having confidence" and I like that.
The Buddha seems to have accepted the existence of Indra and Brahma, but
I don't have confidence in these gods, nor do I believe in them in any
sense.
Bob Zeuschner