[Buddha-l] rebirth

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 13:39:45 MST 2006

Gang,

Ron Leifer's description of various encounters with teachers on the
subject of rebirth brings to mind one I had with Bernie Tetsugen
Glassman Roshi (first heir to Maezumi Roshi). I was interviewing him
for my dissertation on various subjects and he was talking about his
work with the homeless and hungry and all of a sudden it dawned on me
that these were "hungry ghosts," pretas. I was simultaneously abashed
at my narrow-mindedness at never realizing this before, and grateful
and fearful for this new perspective and the responsibility toward
these beings it implied. I told him this and he responded as if it was
a matter of course. Which it was.

Franz Metcalf