[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Sat Jan 28 12:35:49 MST 2006

On Saturday, January 28, 2006, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> You  think  Buddhism  is  a substance, something that
> exists  by  itself and makes itself known. Ever heard
> of hermeneutics?

   Yes,  I  have heard of hermeneutics. And no, I don't
think  Buddism is a substance. I like hermeneutics when
it  is  used  to clarify the doubtful passages. I don't
like it when it is used to falsify the teachings.

   You  asked,  "Do  we want a reasonable Buddhism or a
beliefsystem?"  And I replied that it is not a question
of what we want, but of what the teachings are.

   Do we like eat meat? Well, let's change Buddhism and
have the Buddhism we want. Do we like to get drunk with
buddies?  Well,  let's  change  Buddhism  and  have the
Buddhism we want.

> Now I think that we cannot deny that science makes it
> impossible [...]

   As  far  as  my  knowledge  of philosophy of science
reachs, science can't prove anything. Maybe I'm wrong.

   Best wishes,

   Beni