[Buddha-l] rebirth

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Sat Jan 28 11:12:42 MST 2006

In message <1138469324.5020.17.camel at localhost.localdomain>, Richard P.
Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu> writes

>If one recalls past lives or believes the testimony of others who say
>they recall past lives, then rebirth is real enough. If one does not
>have such experiences, then there is really no need to give rebirth a
>second thought.

Quite the opposite, I feel. If we give it no more than a first thought,
we will, on the one hand,  either prematurely abandon a teaching of the
Buddha, or, on the other hand, blindly adopt a dogma. It is in the very
'thinking about' and 'meditating on' that Buddha's teachings are proved
to be beneficial.  It is for this reason that I accept the teachings on
rebirth. I do not believe them, but I believe in them.

--
Metta
Mike Austin