[Buddha-l] Dukkha

Bernie Simon bsimon at toad.net
Fri Jan 27 19:25:43 MST 2006

I feel silly posting this, because I'm only stating the obvious.
Buddhism seeks to eliminate suffering, but so does every nostrum that's
pitched on television. What make Buddhism unique is that it seeks to
eliminate suffering by eliminating its cause, as in the famous verse
recited to Shariputra.  That cause is the three perversions: seeing
that which brings suffering as pleasant, that which is  impermanent as
permanent, and that which lacks a self as possessing a self. So, yes,
Buddhism seeks to eliminate suffering but it's the specific method
employed that makes it Buddhism, and that is that it seeks a genuine
understanding of the three marks.

----
Now I've read some books
And I've grown quite brave