[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Jan 27 16:06:36 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 14:04 -0500, curt wrote:

> Thanks for the quotes from Gregory! I have that book up on my shelf -
> mostly unread. These quotes will give me some motivation to make another
> go at it.

His work on Tsung-mi, which Benito quoted, is wonderful and does show
(as its title indicates) how the Chinese made Buddhism their own by
making sense of a very alien Indian tradition in a way they could
stomach. (One of the major sticking points for the Chinese, of course,
was the totally alien doctrine of rebirth. The Chinese had to find a way
to do an end run around that. Their way of doing it was not very
different from how a number of Westerners have handled that potentially
thorny issue.)

If you are treating yourself to Peter Gregory's work, you might also
want to (re)read his work on sudden and gradual enlightenment. He
explains it so beautifully that even I can understand it. And the work
he co-edited with Gimello, Studies in Ch'an and Hua-yen, is full of
gems.

--
Richard