[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

ronleifer at aol.com ronleifer at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 09:19:18 MST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard P. Hayes <rhayes at unm.edu>
To: Buddhist discussion forum <buddha-l at mailman.swcp.com>
Sent: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:40:58 -0700
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism
come from?

I'm sure you know the story of the Zen master who was asked by a lay
person whether there really is such a thing as rebirth. "Of course there
is," replied the Master. A monk happened to be outside the door of the
Master's room, and he overheard the conversation. Next time he saw the
Master, the monk asked whether there really is such a thing as rebirth.
"Of course there is not," roared the Master. "Aha! I have caught you
contradicting yourself," said the monk. "You told the layman that there
is rebirth, and you tell me there is not." The Master said "If I tell a
layman there is no rebirth, he will not behave himself well, and he will
get into all kinds of mischief. If I tell a monk there is rebirth, he
will become lazy and postpone his effort to achieve enlightenment in
this very life."

--
Richard
http://home.comcast.net/~dayamati/

When I first went to see Khenpo Khartar Rinpoche, the first thing he
said to me is
"Whether you believe it or not, there is rebirth.
Otherwise you could do anything you want with no consequences."

Ron Leifer