[Buddha-l] Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Jan 26 12:48:41 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 19:57 +0100, Joy Vriens wrote:

> Do you happen to know how many believing in rebirth also believe in
> alien abductions, immaculate conception, astrology, poltergeists,
> mantras that heal
> baldness, flatulency, give one a nice and shiny complexion, make one
> smell of santal wood etc. etc.

Emerson makes the observation that for those who cannot escape the
prison of the self, astronomy becomes astrology, mathematics becomes
numerology, physiology becomes phrenology and palmistry, and physics
becomes technology. Bhikkhu Buddhadasa would add that for those who
cannot escape the prison of the self, dependent origination becomes
rebirth.

(N.B. I am paraphrasing Emerson. The actual quotation can be found by
searching the complete works of Ralph Waldo Emerson at
http://www.emersoncentral.com )

--
Richard