[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Thu Jan 26 09:39:26 MST 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 5:20 AM, Benito Carral wrote:

> On Thursday, January 26, 2006, Jim Peavler wrote:

I must apologize for having oversimplified my presentation, and also
of having done the CNN thing of presenting "both sides" of a matter
which is actually a continuum (perhaps even a full circle) of
possibilities. I was picking up on what I perceived to be your
position (perhaps mistakenly) that either you believed all of the
stuff from the suttas (even the self-contradictory stuff) or you
shouldn't call yourself a Buddhist. I took the strongest possible
position on the other side.

I also don't agree with your (on Conze's) position on textual
traditions. I do not know anything about sanscrit or pali or Chinese,
but I know something about textual studies. I am trained as a textual
bibliographer, but I worked only with Old English and Middle English
texts. If you are interested in the subject as a discipline in its
own right you might be interested in Bruce Metzger's fine book on the
text of the New Testament. (I think the New Testament might be an
interesting parallel case to what we are talking about, since it is
about the foundation texts of a religion, is based on more than one
language, and the texts were not written until a couple of centuries
after the object of the religion had died.) It is quite amazing how
different the various versions are. Curt's hated First Council of
Nicaea considered it its primary business to "freeze" the literary
tradition, and the Church then went about a systematic purging (or
extermination) of anybody hanging on to any of the texts it had
excluded. Buddhism didn't have anything quite like that. Pretty much
everything from the old materials got preserved, as I understand it.

>    It's  not  that  believes describe reality, but that
> shape  it. Again following Bruner, "There are two modes
> of  cognitive  functioning,  two modes of thought, each
> providing  distinctive  ways of ordering experience, of
> constructing reality" (_Actual Minds, Possible Worlds,_
> 1986, p. 11).

I find that there are two kinds of people: Those who believe that
there are two modes of cognitive functioning and those who don't.

>    I   have   tried  different  sets  of  believes  and
> disbeliefs,  and I have discovered that, as a Buddhist,
> my  life  is much more meaningful and warm believing in
> the traditional Buddhist teachings. I think that it's a
> pity  that  the  modern  human  being  is caught in the
> dichotomy between science and believe.

I am not sure that I understand what folks mean by "meaningful life".
I understand "warm". Warm is the feeling of cosmic love I get while
eating a Natilla.

>    I  think  that  it's  important  to  be  faithful to
> history  and  preserve  the  teachings.  Maybe  some US
> citizens don't like the US constitution, but it is what
> it is.

I share your belief that it is important to preserve the teachings. I
think it is also important for a person who believes the teachings
are important to try to understand, interpret, and apply the
teachings to the best of ones ability. I would think that slavishly
adopting everything from the teachings is not necessarily the only or
the best way to treat them.

>    One  approach  would  be  trying  to destroy all the
> copies  of the US constitution. Other approach would be
> trying  to  delegitimize  it.  Then  it  could  also be
> possible to write a new one.

Now your straw-man is getting taller and fatter than mine!

I would argue that the proper way to treat the early Buddhist texts
might be similar to the way the Supreme Court treats the
Constitution. They all agree that the Constitution is the document
that outlines the full range and scope of how to conduct the business
of a nation. However, as you can tell by watching about 30 minutes of
TV, is that nearly everyone agrees that, while the Constitution
provides the framework and then general direction, many features of
the Constitution need to be re-interpreted from time to time to take
into consideration changes in nature or society, etc. The correct way
to manage the Constitution is to preserve it, read it seriously,
study it deeply, interpret how it applies to life today as carefully
as possible, and to implement it wisely. Substitute "Early Buddhist
texts" for "Constitution" in the above sentence and you might be
approaching what I think is the role of authoritative texts. Your
position on the early texts, it seems to me, is similar to Judge
Bork's position on the Constitution -- the need to reconstruct in
detail exactly what the original authors meant and enforce that (or
as you seem to say above -- if you can't agree with it destroy it --
enforce it or burn it.) (A hot staw-man if ever I saw one.)

I have to go out  now and jump up and down in the snow. We have only
about a quarter of an inch, but it is the first measurable moisture
here in several months. We should have several feet of snow here at
the ranch by this time of year.