[Buddha-l] Jesus is Buddha?

Hal Cooper hal_cooper at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 15:03:38 MST 2006

Richard writes>  To prefer one fiction over another
> and to say THIS is the original teaching, and all others are deviations
> from the truth, is to try to take a stand in the air.
>
Hal>  I ran across an interesting text called "Sandaoki" at 2nd look Books
in Spokane, WA.  The Sandaoki has an interesting statement which I think
confirms Richards' characterization of original teachings.

"While human faculties are sharp or dull,
the Way has no northern or southern ancestors."

The full text of the Sandaoki is at:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/scbs/sztp3/translations/gongyo_seiten/translations/part_1/sandokai.html
http://www.berkeleyzencenter.org/Texts/sandokai.shtml

Aparently this is from a Chinese patriarch who predates Hui Neng, but my
perception  is that mostly Japanese Zen teachers  comment on Sandaoki.  Is
my perception clouded?  Shurly it is.  Do Chinese teachers comment on
Sandaoki?

My what a challenge Sandaoki makes at the end saying:

"Don't waste time."
or
"Don't pass your days and nights in vain."