[Buddha-l] Re: Jesus is Buddha?

Antonio Ferreira-Jardim antonio.jardim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:13:02 MST 2006

Hi,

I think we need to bear in mind here the wider anti-semitic polemic behind
Lindtner's findings.  Christian Lindtner is an avowed holocaust-denier [See
a list of his articles here:
http://holocaust.nu/default.aspx?catch=http://holocaust.nu/article_list.aspx?cid=15]
who was dismissed from his post at Copenhagen University over allegations of
tax evasion concerning the importation of luxury cars whilst on academic
overseas visits [
http://lexikon.idgr.de/l/l_i/lindtner-christian/lindtner-christian.php]. He
also fond of wearing SS uniforms to meeting where other holocaust-deniers
are speaking: [
http://www.fpp.co.uk/online/04/02/Ekstrabladet_230204_engl.html].

He sees Buddhism in terms of "pure aryanism" [
http://holocaust.nu/default.aspx?catch=http://holocaust.nu/article_list.aspx?cid=15]
and consequently came to believe that all of the positive aspects of the New
Testament can only have come about via "Aryan Influence" in the form of
Buddhism.  Many of the "seeds" of this ideology (eg. Christianity = Judaised
Buddhism "Hinayana" p.64; Judaism's particularism & ritualism = Hindu caste
system/Brahmanism, Christian Universal Salvation = Buddhist critique of the
caste system = "aryanism" Hinayana p.68)  are to be seen in the
introductions to Lindtner's anthologies "Hinayana" and "Mahayana"- both
published in 1998 by Spektrum. In these works he introduces the concept of
"Bhagavatism" or occasionally "Aryan-Bhagavatism" (Hinayana p.12) which he
formulates in similar terms to the Nazi conception of the "Uebermensch". For
more on the huge scandal the publication of these two books caused in
Denmark see here: http://www.stud.hum.ku.dk/tabu/aarg11/98dec/Hinayan.html ,
http://www.stud.hum.ku.dk/tabu/aarg11/98dec/Mahayana.html ,
http://www.stud.hum.ku.dk/tabu/aarg12/99sep/arier.html ,
http://www.stud.hum.ku.dk/tabu/aarg11/99maj/watergate.html

For more details on Lindtner's view of "early" Buddhism see his article :
"From Buddhism to Bramanism. Asian Philosophy. (1999) vol.9/1 pp.5-37

The bottom line is that Lindtner is an avowed anti-semite and
holocaust-denier who has made it his life work to trace "Aryan Wisdom" in
Buddhist Literature and Christian "Translation".

Treat his work with extreme care.

Regards,

Antonio Ferreira-Jardim
University of Queensland