[Buddha-l] Sense and sensibility was: American Mahayana/British Theravada?

Baopiguy at comcast.net Baopiguy at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 13:34:25 MST 2006

>Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>
>It has long seemed to me that Western Buddhist practitioners need
>incentives to achieve higher stages of the path. I am thinking of
>something like merit badges that Boy Scouts wear.

This takes me back to when I was one of the first Americans to
practice all the martial arts (of course Teddy Roosevelt beat me by a
few years, but he only studied a little while (Jujutsu) in the White
House, before it had a gym.

Most of the Japanese arts had three levels...white belt (beginner),
brown belt (three stages), and black belt (you've learned the basics
and could rise to ten degrees (the last few being honorary red/white
or red). In Karate (which was only created in 1932) the black belt
levels only rose to sixth dan. And in the Chinese arts there were
only two levels - student or teacher.

But when phonies like Ed Parker came along in the 60's they realized
Americans a) couldn't be bothered with taking a year or two to learn
the basics before they began sparring; and  b) needed immediate
gratification....thus developed the orange, blue, purple and all the
other belt colors, to which some schools added up to ten white
adhesive tape strips.....and everyone in a tournament these days
receives a trophy. That's why there are no more "authentic" martial
arts being taught today in the US except by the few masters from Asia
who are still alive or their first generation students.

I've watched the same thing happen in Buddhism here. (Of course, to
be fair and balanced, when I taught Theravada Buddhist monks and
would ask them a question concerning morals, etc. they would quote
Pali. I forbid them to do so and to think for themselves.....what
changes were brought about in many....some even realized the Buddha
probably could not fly or be in two places at once.)