[Buddha-l] Sense and sensibility

Baopiguy at comcast.net Baopiguy at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 12:05:58 MST 2006

>This brings us once again to a discussion we had some years ago about
>Buddhist monks getting tattoos. I forget how that important issue got
>resolved. Do monks get tattoos to show their attainment of stream entry?
>They should, I think, so we lay people will know to give them more rice.
>
>--
>Richard
I'll have to check the archives for that obviously interesting
discussion....kind of reminds me of the practice of burning the
Bodhisattva marks on the head.......now THAT HURTS!!!! But the other
monks raise their voices so no one can hear that you are in pain.
Once they think the burns will "take" (mine have grown back over)
they stop the little incense cones from burning by squeezing
watermelon juice all over your head and robes....then give you a
slice of watermelon and send you out for some private time. And I
HATE watermelon.....