[Buddha-l] Re:American Mahayana/British Theravada?

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 18 19:15:24 MST 2006

Gang,

Richard's description of the harrowing and admirable "Blackrobe,"
reminded me of what a "Buddhist" movie it is. Yes, "the distinction
between wiper and wipee vanishes altogether, thus achieving an
admirable non-dualism. All is one, and the one stinks to high heaven."
Isn't this pretty much the same way the Buddha described Indians?

BTW: I've just begun reading Dean Sluyter's book, /Cinema Nirvana/, and
am finding it excellent. He expands on "Buddhist" themes in various
movies, including "Snow White," "The Godfather," the spaghetti
westerns, and "Jaws." (He eschews too-easy films like "Unforgiven" or
"Groundhog Day.") Though I'm only on chapter one, I'm certain Sluyter
will convince me about each of the films. A great pleasure.

Franz Metcalf
(a product of Chicago's history of religion program under Frank
Reynolds, a program which turned out a whole generation of excellent
Theravada scholars [and at least one black sheep])