[Buddha-l] American Mahayana/British Theravada?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jan 17 13:48:20 MST 2006

I think that Alan Bennett was the first person of European descent to
ordain as a Buddhist monk - and he did so in Sri Lanka. I think one of
the next to do so was whathisname Sangharakshita - who ordained in India
with a Burmese order. I've always heard that the English have a fondness
for precedence and boiled food - so maybe that's all there is to it.
Americans, on the other hand, have a fondness for sex, drugs and
rock-n-roll - which go much better with Zen and Tantra than they do with
Theravada. Nevertheless, I think that Americans have done a more
thorough job of "westernizing" Theravada (as in the Insight Meditation
Society) than the Brits have.

Its ironic that Alan Bennett, the occultist and close personal friend of
Aleister Crowley, should have steered the English toward Theravada
instead of something spicier. Another irony is that the one person
probably most responsible for America's love affair with Zen was, of
course, Alan Watts, an Englishman. And the runner-up for that honor goes
to D.T. Suzuki, who was married to a British Theosophist, Beatrice
Erskine Lane, who is also sometimes identified as a member of the Bahai
faith.

For any graduate students out there who want to follow Richard Hayes'
advice to focus on American Buddhism and only use English sources for
your research - researching Beatrice Erskine Lane's contribution to
"American Zen" would probably be a gold mine. Or perhaps not - I just
saw on this page
(http://www.baysidechurch.org/studia/print.cfm?ArticleID=129&detail=1)
that, ironically, there is a biography of her emphasizing her research
on Mahayana Buddhism - but it's in Japanese and has never been
translated into English!

- Curt