[Buddha-l] New web site peers into the past of buddha-l

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jan 16 12:31:32 MST 2006

Dear denizens of buddha-l,

Last year, I prepared a book-length collection of past posts to buddha-
l, and the ancestral cite from which buddha-l was born, The Forum on
Indian and Buddhist Studies, which had the old BITNET address
buddhist at jpntoku.  (The Forum on Indian and Buddhist Studies later moved
to Tokyo University and then to McGill before dying of old age, and it
never did have any archives.)

Unable to find a publisher for that book, I put the whole manuscript on
the web as a PDF file. Not long after I posted the aforementioned PDF
file, several people complained that some of their words were quoted in
it and they were mentioned by name in my posts. Not wanting to embarrass
anyone, I took the file off my website.

Recently I have made a significant editorial overhaul of the material,
deleting information that would identify anyone other than myself, and
putting it in the form of interlinked web pages for easier viewing. Only
a fraction of the material in the book manuscript is now ready for
viewing, but I hope to add to the collection steadily.

Some of the material on the site from the Forum on Indian and Buddhist
Studies goes back to January 1991, some ten months before buddha-l was
founded. Of the people who used to contribute regularly to that forum, I
find only one person who is still active on buddha-l: our beloved co-
moderator, Peter Junger.

Anyone wishing to see the site in its present form can view it by going
to http://home.comcast.net/~dayamati/ . One of the pages there has a
number of messages on the topic of Buddhism and science (or my quaint
understanding thereof). Another has a discussion of Buddhist pacificism
and criticisms of the first Gulf War. (Funny how some topics never quite
go away.) There is even a brief informal history of buddha-l (which is
incomplete in that it holds back from telling the truth about Dan
Lusthaus).

In the future, expect pages on Buddhism and psychoanalysis, Buddhism and
social activism, and Buddhism and Western philosophy. There will also be
a number of satirical and parodical pieces written by some guy called
Coyote. (Remember Coyote?)

Incidentally, despite my proclivity for egomania (a disease common to
non-dualists and pseudo-advaitins), I am certainly willing in principle
to put up postings by other writers, but I will do so only if they are
sent to me with explicit permission to put them on this site. Actually,
I would encourage people to make their own sites that we could then link
together with a web ring of some kind, but that is probably more work
than most of you would like to do.

Happy reading,
Richard

--