[Buddha-l] The way the wind blows

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Sat Jan 14 02:18:40 MST 2006

Jim Peavler wrote:

> I don't think it is very polite for you to pretend to be a woman.

Not polite? I would agree with silly, immature or childish, or even bad
taste, but impolite? Since my beginnings in 1995 on this list and
Buddhist-L, I must have bored people to death by explaining at least
twice a month that I am a lingadhara of Dutch origin also carrying a
name (the one of my grandfather) that in the current dominant and
dominating lingua franca happens to be a female one. I had to do so once
more on this list only a couple of monts ago (check it). So this time
when Bruce took me for a woman (at least so it seemed to me), I thought
well, if you all want me to be a woman and it fits in better with the
customs and expectations of your culture and language, I will submit to
them and be a woman.

> have enough trouble figuring out which postings to skip without
> deliberate deception on the part of the authors.

I hope the benefit of laboriously figuring it out at least outweighs the
trouble.

> (Naturally I try to
> skip female postings. Joanna and I correspond privately these days.)

How is she doing in her exile? :-)  I hope she knows that her place is
on this list where she is hugely missed and not because she is a woman.

Joy (male)