[Buddha-l] science #3

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 13 20:46:39 MST 2006

Hi Dan --
You misunderstood my point.
I wrote "incomprehensible."
You interpreted it as "capricious" or "arbitrary," and those are not
synonyms. "Incomprehensible" does not mean "irrational."

You mentioned that science cannot ground itself.
The "ground" of science for Christianity (and I assume Islam) is a
supreme being who chooses to make the universe, and this is the "ground"
for all scientific laws and principles that science has overlooked.

My point:
When you provide an "explanation" for stuff, and the cause is
INCOMPREHENSIBLE, then we have no explanation at all.

Consider the sacred ultimate divine being: can any human understand the
mind of such a being? No. Not even after we have died and gone to heaven
(because we are not infinite and we are not god, therefore we cannot
understand the infinite divine even in heaven unless we become gods).

Can we understand the motives of such an incomprehensible being (they
may well be logical and not capricious)? We are not infinite.

Can we understand the infinite powers (omnipotence) of an infinite
supreme being? Our non-godly minds can never measure up to understand
the infinite sacred ultimate.

Thus, the religious explanation provides a "ground" for science which is
ultimately incomprehensible (although it may not be capricious, etc.).
Thus, the "ground" that science is supposed to be missing, and the
ground that is supposed to be supplied by Islam or Christianity, is no
ground that any human could ever comprehend.
I don't consider that an explanation.

Best,
Bob