[Buddha-l] science #3

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 13 17:56:20 MST 2006

Dan --
Your reference to a "grounding" that science lacks, seems to me to be
misleading.
The "ground" that Islamic and Chrisitian "science" offers (and which
science lacks) seems to me to be precisely:
The ground of all science and scientific laws and principles is that an
incomprehensible being using incomprehensible laws for incomprehensible
purposes made it that way.
I find that to be no ground whatsoever.
Science does not use arguments from authority; the concenses of
scientists is based on empirical arguments such as --
If theory X is correct, we should observe Y.
We observe Y.
This provides CONFIRMATION of a theory (but not proof).

If theory X is incorrect, we should observe Y.
We do observe Y.
Therefore, theory X is incorrect.

I do recognize that it is more complex than this (a network of
assumptions about reality), but I fail to see how Islamic and Christian
science overcomes their appeal to authority, but to an authority which
is ultimately incomprehensible (revelation, divinity).
Bob