[Buddha-l] In Praise of Eckhart Tolle

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 17:41:07 MST 2006

Gang,

Whoa there, partners! Let's just settle down. Unless I grossly miss my
guess, Stephen was not insulting Agehananda Bharati, but rather making
a joke on a possible (mis)reading of Ron's post.

Ron wrote that Bharati was "a certified Shankarcharya Advaitist." Ron
of course meant that he had some kind of official standing in that
school. But "certified" can also mean--at least in Britain--"insane."
We might say "certifiable" in America. So when Stephen wrote that
Bharati was "insane," he was just riffing on that ambiguity in Ron's
post.

I'm afraid the testiness of other buddha-l members is distorting our
readings of less testy members, such as Stephen. And I've never known
Stephen to even approach testiness except under the prodding of Dan
Lusthaus. (And that can be interpreted as falling under the category of
cruel and inhumane punishment.)

Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt--and the joke--here.
Jokes are one of the few things that characterize truly human status, I
think. Jokes and wars. Given a choice on buddha-l, let's go with jokes.

Franz Metcalf