[Buddha-l] Modern Advaita sages

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Jan 10 14:24:08 MST 2006

I am still waiting for the Complete Works of Vivekananda to arrive (it
should be here Thursday). In the meantime here's a little excerpt from
his "Prajna Yoga", which can be found at amazon ("inside this book"):

"One of the most poetical of the Unpanishads, the Katha Upanishad,
begins with the inquiry: 'When a man dies, there is a dispute: one party
declares that he has gone forever; the other insists that he is still
living. Which is the truth?' Various answers have been given. The whole
sphere of metaphysics, philosophy, and religion is really filled with
various answers to this question. At the same time, attempts have been
made to suppress it, to put a stop to the unrest of the mind, which
asks: 'What is beyond? What is real?' But so long as death remains, all
these attempts at suppression will prove unsuccessful. We may talk about
seeing nothing beyond and keeping all our hopes and aspirations confined
to the present moment, and struggle hard not to think of anything beyond
the world of the senses. And perhaps everything outside may help to keep
us limited within its narrow bounds; the whole world may combine to
prevent us from broadening out beyond the present. Yet, so long as there
is death, the question must come again and again: 'Is death the end of
all these things to which we are clinging, as if they were the most real
of all realities, the most substantial of all substances?' The world
vanishes in a moment and is gone. Standing on the brink of a precipice
beyond which is the infinite yawning chasm, every mind, however
hardened, is bound to recoil and ask, 'Is this real?' This question must
be answered.....

"Two positions remain to mankind. One is to believe, with the nihilists,
that all is nothing, that we know nothing, that we can never know
anything about either the future, the past or even the present. For we
must remember that he who denies the past and the future, and wants to
stick to the present, is simply a madman. One may as well deny the
father and mother and assert the child. It would be equally logical....

"Then there is the other position - to seek for an explanation, to seek
for the real, to discover in the midst of this eternally changing and
evanescent world whatever is real. In this body, which is an aggregate
of molecules of matter, is there anything which is real? This has been
the search throughout the history of the human mind. In the very oldest
times we often find glimpses of light coming into men's minds. We find
men even then going a step beyond this body, finding something which is
not this external body, although very much like it, something much more
complete, much more perfect, which remains even when this body is
dissolved. We read in a hymn of the Rig-Veda addressed to the god of
fire, who is burning a dead body: 'Carry him, Fire, in your arms gently;
give him a perfect body, a bright body. Carry him where the fathers
live, where there is not more sorrow, where there is no more death.'"

What a lunatic! What a hopeless romantic! Vivekananda must have been one
of those congenital fools that Paul Bloom speaks of - you know, the ones
who will believe absolutely anything without evidence. Or wait - now
here's a thought: maybe, now I know this might sound crazy, but maybe
Vivekananda was on to something. Perhaps Vivekananda didn't just
"believe" this "without evidence". Kind of makes you think doesn't it?
Well, maybe not some of you.

- Curt