[Buddha-l] Erasure

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Jan 8 14:25:25 MST 2006

I hadn't heard of this term before - but I am familiar with the concept.
Thanks for the little Pali lesson. But at the risk of being tedious I
will once more point out that you and I fully agree on the nature of
Christianity qua Christianity. We only disagree about whether or not
Christianity represents a typical, even paradigmatic, example for all
Religions with respect to the question of tolerance. You hold that it
does, whereas I disagree. Despite having our opinions, I would think
that we both realize that this is really an open question. The
literature on Religious tolerance is skewed because Christianity has
inspired an large corpus of written material authored by people who
enjoy listing the defects of Christianity in lurid detail. I think that
this is because Christianity has done such a thorough job of alienating
intellectuals - whose idea of "getting back" at their enemies usually
amounts to writing books. Other religions have done a much better job of
co-opting intellectuals. But I suspect that there is more to it than
just a bias in the readily available literature.

- Curt