[Buddha-l] it's not about belief

Chris castanford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:33:43 MST 2006

As long as we're talking about metallurgy as being a 'technology' as opposed
to a 'science', permit me a personal reflection. In the '60s, when I was an
undergrad at UBC, my then female friend of choice at the time was studying
metalurgical engineering. After five years of diligent study, she was
awarded a Bachelor of Applied SCIENCE degree (as opposed to a B.A.Tech.) -
and went to work for Cominco as an applied metalurgical *scientist*.

I also recall the undergraduate physics text I was assigned at the time
(Sears and Zemansky) having been divided into two sections; a "classical"
physical sciences section and a "Modern" physical sciences section. I think
that when we discuss the impact of science on religious thinking, we need to
clarify which particular genera of science we're referring to. Newton's
implications are far different from Stephen Hawking's in my opinion.