[buddha-l] it's not about belief

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jan 6 12:07:10 MST 2006

Jim Peavler wrote:

> I would never call Dr. Hayes (nor myself) disingenuous, which, if I
> understand it, "pretending to know less about something than one
> actually knows."  Buddha-l is almost completely devoid of any odor of
> the disingenuous. Most of us tend to fall somewhere on the other end
> of the spectrum.

dis-in-gen-u-ous: adjective: lacking in candor : calculating

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=disingenuous

Feigning ignorance is a common form of disingenuousness - but does not
define it. Any argument that is "lacking in candor" - like intentionally
misrepresenting your opponent's positions - is disingenuous.

- Curt