[Buddha-l] it's not about belief

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jan 5 13:09:32 MST 2006

Richard P. Hayes wrote:

>On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 11:37 -0500, curt wrote:
>

>>There has never been any other Religion -
>>not Islam, not Judaism, not Confucianism, not Buddhism, not Hinduism,
>>not Paganism, not Zoroastrianism, not Taoism, not Shinto, not Santeria,
>>etc - that has ever actively opposed scientific progress - or that has
>>viewed scientific discoveries to be "socially, morally, or emotionally
>>dangerous."
>>

>No other tradition in the past was confronted with science until fairly
>recently.

OK - we are obviously differing on the definition of "science", and I
don't want to argue over definitions (but see below). If we keep to the
statement that I quoted - the author of that statement clarifies his
meaning by stating that the work of Copernicus and Darwin provide the
most "obvious" examples of what he is talking about. Lets take them one
at a time.

Copernicus lived in the 16th century - but his most revolutionary
contribution to science was based directly on work done by Aristarchus
of Samos - who lived in the 3rd century B.C. Aristarchus not only
proposed that the earth orbits around the sun (the idea picked up by
Copernicus), he also proposed that the moon orbits around the earth,
that the apparent light of the moon is reflected light from the sun -
and he also managed to accurately calculate the relative sizes of the
earth and the moon. Other Greek astronomers calculated such things as
the distance between the earth and the moon, and the size of the earth
itself. Isaac Asimov's excellent book "The Universe" has an extensive
section at the beginning about the accomplishments of ancient
astronomers. While it is true that Aristarchus' "heliocentric"
hypothesis was widely rejected - he was not arrested and threatened with
torture for his proposal, nor did he suffer any abuse whatsoever - and
there is no record of any authorities, Religious or otherwise, declaring
his ideas to be "dangerous". Copernicus died (also unmolested, I
believe) without ever proving that his theory, or, rather, his attempt
to revive Aristarchus' theory, was correct. But when Galileo claimed to
have verified that Copernicus and Aristarchus were correct and that the
earth does indeed orbit the sun - he was dragged before the Inquisition
twice, threatened with torture, forced to recant under threat of
torture, and spent the last eight years of his life under house arrest -
and it became a criminal offense to publish or possess any of Galileo's
writings.* I don't think there is anything even remotely resembling
these event in any other Religion - but I would be most interested in
hearing about it if I am wrong.

Darwin lived in the 19th century and proposed a theory of evolution by
natural selection. Christians who adhered to a literal interpretation of
the Book of Genesis objected to Darwin's theory because it proved that
they were wrong. Darwin's theory and the Christian literalist opposition
to it can be best understood in the context of advances in geological
sciences that were going on at the same time - which allowed for
scientists to begin to accurately measure the age of the earth - in
billions of years (as opposed to the 4000 year date arrived at by
literalist "calculations"). The only doctrinal basis for the Christian
opposition to evolution is a narrow, literalist interpretation of the
Bible that is also completely contradicted by these advances in
geological sciences. I know of no other Religion, outside of
"fundamentalist" Christianity that holds such views. In fact, there are
some Muslims who claim that Darwin ripped off his theory from them!
Jewish scholars have a long and proud tradition of allegorical and
metaphorical (as opposed to literal) exegesis - Philo of Alexandria (a
Platonist and a Hellenized Jew) - is one of the best known examples of
this very old tradition. Buddhists and Hindus traditionally believe that
the earth and all life on it is many "kalpas" old - I forget how long
that is in years, but it is compatible with modern science, more or
less, and I have never heard of any Buddhist or Hindu who claimed that
either modern Biology or modern Geology are wrong because the Sutras or
the Vedas say so. Has anyone else?

>When confronted with science, every single one of them split
>into factions, one faction accommodating traditional beliefs to science,
>the other repudiating science.

Hmmm - really? Are there any school boards in India or Japan that have
ever refused to "teach evolution" and instead have students read from
the Sutras or Vedas during Biology class?

The claim that science is a new thing in human history would have been
news to Francis Bacon, Galileo and Isaac Newton - who clearly saw
themselves and their scientific activities as part of an ancient
tradition. They enthusiastically identified themselves with men (and
women) of learning from Classical Greece and Rome - such as Aristarchus,
Euclid, Archimedes, Ptolemy, Eritosthenes, etc. They clearly wished to
break with the recent past - but they also wished to reconnect with the
more ancient past, when intellectual inquiry had been free an
unfettered. Moreover, in ancient times not only did Religion not oppose
science - but scientists did not generally oppose Religion, either.
Modern science, such as it is, is merely good at producing technical
wonders. But what good is a scientist who has no moral compass? The
scientists who developed nuclear weapons, for instance, can be divided
into two camps: those like Oppenheimer who had some understanding of the
ethical implications of what they were doing but went ahead anyway, and
those like Feynman who had no idea that there were any such ethical
implications in the first place. And today - what good are medical
researchers who are willing to assist drug companies in hiding important
medical information from the general public (like data on drug
side-effects)?

- Curt

* P.S. In 1992 Pope John Paul II "rehabilitated" Galileo Galilei, and
stated that he had been sentenced "in error". Interestingly, the Pope
insisted that the Church had acted in good faith, and that the mistake
was due to the Church having received bad information. Sound familiar?